Author Topic: Spam Bots  (Read 9041 times)

Offline PsychicKid

• Site Admin
  • 'Extended' Stay
  • Doremi-Fansubs Staff - Ojamajo Doremi
Spam Bots
« on: December 14, 2008, 11:39:03 PM »
Spam bots have been on the rise lately, and I've recently been given the powers to ban delete execute people. Any accounts that are found to be posting messages that resemble spam bot behavior or are found to be operating spam bots will have their accounts permanently terminated without warning.

Please use the Report to Moderator button in the corner of the post to report any spam activity and we will take care of it as soon as possible.

Thank you for your cooperation!

[UPDATE: Same as second post in topic by me]

Okay guys, here's the deal. I am going to go through the members list and I will be banning all accounts suspect of being spammers or spambots. If your username, e-mail address, and/or IP address is connected to that of a typical spam bot name, then your account will be terminated. Obviously, I am going to use my judgment on this and only ban the ones that are immediately obvious.

If your account is banned for spam (bot) activities and you feel it was made in error, please contact me or an administrator ASAP and we will review each account on a case-by-case basis.

That is all. *cocks shotgun*

[Update:]

In light of recent events, I have decided that I will purge all forum accounts that are both
Older than 1 month (30 days)
and
Have a post count of 0

This is to prevent both dead accounts and bot accounts from accumulating and filling up the userpage with unnecessary clutter. I have recently purged over 1000 accounts with zero posts that were believed to have been associated with possible spam bots. If you have a forum account with zero posts after 30 days of being registered, then it will be deleted. Even making one post then never posting again will keep it saved. The reason is that 99.9% of the accounts that I have deleted have made zero posts. But, I do not want a bunch of dead spam bot accounts cluttering the user list.

Besides, if you're not going to post, then you don't really need an account to lurk, anyway. If you really wanted to you could just remake the account and post eventually.

Have a nice day.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 03:39:28 PM by PsychicKid »

Official quality checker of Ojamajo Doremi as of episode 29, season 1 aka over 5 years of watching cute girls do cute things with magic my god what have i done

Nuub

Re: Spam Bots
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008, 05:29:09 PM »
Hello, it is nice to see that someone is keeping it clean. Remember to use the report function! :D

Offline mike_art03a

• Site Admin
  • Diehard Forum Addict. ¬¬;;
  • There's always something to fix...
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2008, 10:22:54 PM »
Seeing as PK lurks the forums more than I do, he's fully qualified to be a mod. :P

Offline PsychicKid

• Site Admin
  • 'Extended' Stay
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2008, 04:33:55 PM »
Okay guys, here's the deal. I am going to go through the members list and I will be banning all accounts suspect of being spammers or spambots. If your username, e-mail address, and/or IP address is connected to that of a typical spam bot name, then your account will be terminated. Obviously, I am going to use my judgment on this and only ban the ones that are immediately obvious.

If your account is banned for spam (bot) activities and you feel it was made in error, please contact me or an administrator ASAP and we will review each account on a case-by-case basis.

That is all. *cocks shotgun*

Official quality checker of Ojamajo Doremi as of episode 29, season 1 aka over 5 years of watching cute girls do cute things with magic my god what have i done

tentacle_king

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2008, 10:40:44 PM »
I'll see what I notice.

Nuub

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2008, 08:11:00 AM »
first account to go is mikes im guessing :D

tentacle_king

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2008, 10:22:17 AM »
seipsempids set off my gaydar last night. try looking into that one.

Offline PsychicKid

• Site Admin
  • 'Extended' Stay
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2009, 03:39:39 PM »
In light of recent events, I have decided that I will purge all forum accounts that are both
Older than 1 month (30 days)
and
Have a post count of 0

This is to prevent both dead accounts and bot accounts from accumulating and filling up the userpage with unnecessary clutter. I have recently purged over 1000 accounts with zero posts that were believed to have been associated with possible spam bots. If you have a forum account with zero posts after 30 days of being registered, then it will be deleted. Even making one post then never posting again will keep it saved. The reason is that 99.9% of the accounts that I have deleted have made zero posts. But, I do not want a bunch of dead spam bot accounts cluttering the user list.

Besides, if you're not going to post, then you don't really need an account to lurk, anyway. If you really wanted to you could just remake the account and post eventually.

Have a nice day.

tentacle_king

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2009, 05:57:15 PM »
thanks for the service man, its widely appreciated.

I'll keep an eye out.

Offline deekhaye

• Local Drunkard
  • Global Moderator
  • I practically live here!
  • Political AF
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2010, 05:44:16 AM »
You've been spammed in General Discussion.

You guys have really bad luck with this.  Bummer.

Yuki is the Dagny Taggart of Haruhi.