Author Topic: Hatsune Miku Magical Mirai 2013 English Subtitle File  (Read 10127 times)

TheWhiteLights

Hatsune Miku Magical Mirai 2013 English Subtitle File
« on: October 03, 2013, 01:06:06 AM »
Using the video file from here

http://www.nyaa.se/?page=view&tid=468048

I have created an English subtitle file to follow this video.

I don't know any fancy subtitle techniques like Doremi Fansubs do. I don't even know Japanese. The English lyrics are from other people's translations and I picked the best lyrics for each song. All the songs have English subtitles for them with the English version of their song titles (if necessary). Not everything is translated, such as when Miku talks to the audience. I only put English subtitles to the dialogue where I know the English translation to, such as "Thank you".

I subtitled this for fun and because I wanted to understand what they were singing about. Feel free to modify the file all you want. My credits are at the end of the video, after the last song.

The English subtitles are here:
https://rapidshare.com/share/7281126B608B86A58D40FA3F037BD5B5

Please, let me know if anything needs correction so I can update my subtitle file too. ^^

Offline JimShew

• Doremi staff
  • Site Admin
  • Diehard Forum Addict. ¬¬;;
Re: Hatsune Miku Magical Mirai 2013 English Subtitle File
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 12:34:20 PM »
I don't know any fancy subtitle techniques like Doremi Fansubs do....
Fancy subtitle techniques? Although typesetting does cause exceptions, almost all the subtitles I've encountered in my (almost) seven years with this group consist of only basic stuff.

In typesetting Ojamajo, I do sometimes use some fancy override tags to do things like:

- fancy fade of a subtitle when fading to white (The normal fade tag looks terrible in that situation)
  - clip typesets so things in front don't get "tagged"
  - move typesets, trying to keep them on the notes/etc they relate to.

The most complex typeset I know of was when Xat and another typesetter added English titles to an entire bookshelf of origami books in one of the final episodes of our fansub of "Sola". That 20-second typeset was "photoshopped" into the raw, and took the two 36 hours to prepare.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 12:48:45 PM by JimShew »
Information presented in the form of "derivative works" represent the seeds of new academic discoveries. Therefore, the USA has outlawed their own academic processes with the wording of their DMCA.

Offline bellsworth46

• Never going home!
  • Zakenna!
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 01:44:19 PM »
Don't be too hard on him, Jim. To someone without any experience in typesetting and timing, the actual embedding of subs may seem like challenging and "fancy" techniques.

That being said, I don't know how to do any of it myself  :-P. This may be a good opportunity to look into it, though.
A kid's show? So what? I'm still a kid at heart!

Offline JimShew

• Doremi staff
  • Site Admin
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 04:42:04 PM »
Don't be too hard on him, Jim. To someone without any experience in typesetting and timing, the actual embedding of subs may seem like challenging and "fancy" techniques.

That being said, I don't know how to do any of it myself  :-P. This may be a good opportunity to look into it, though.
Sorry, I wasn't intending to come across that way.

Although the file format of the subtitle files we use ("Advanced Subtitle Script", file extension = *.ass) specify 10 comma-delimited fields for each line, the main fields of those files are start time, end time, and the text. (unless you're doing something fancy, the other seven [Layer, Style, Actor, MarginL, MarginR, MarginV, and Effect] are rarely altered from their defaults)  One freeware program for interactively manipulating those files is "Aegisub".

Although it is possible to create a subtitle file using just a text editor like notepad, because of those multiple fields, using Aegisub is much less error-prone.

As an example of what the data looks like, here are three lines copy/pasted from the h264 version of the Mo~tto Movie (Note: the timing doesn't match the AVI that was released several years ago):

Dialogue: 0,0:09:07.00,0:09:10.54,*Default,Grandmother,0,0,0,,It's a song that's been sung from long ago.
Dialogue: 0,0:09:11.33,0:09:15.13,Kara_English (Insert Song),Doremi;Hadzuki;Momoko;Onpu,0,0,0,,♪If a frog cries once, the rain will pour.♪
Dialogue: 0,0:09:15.55,0:09:18.80,Kara_English (Insert Song),Aiko,0,0,0,,♪Ah ribbit. Yo ribbit.♪
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 01:27:55 PM by JimShew »
Information presented in the form of "derivative works" represent the seeds of new academic discoveries. Therefore, the USA has outlawed their own academic processes with the wording of their DMCA.

Ryuuseiz

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2013, 04:49:40 AM »
does this subtitle useable for HD version ??

Offline JimShew

• Doremi staff
  • Site Admin
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2013, 01:16:59 PM »
does this subtitle useable for HD version ??
Although I've not tried it with this file, assuming one of the videos hasn't had some scenes cut, usually the only thing that will get messed up is the overall timing.

Because the two videos come from differing sources, the "zero time" to cause the subtitles to synchronize exactly with each video might be in different places, resulting in the subs being early (or late) to their respective audio. Although the fix is quite easy in an editing program like Aegisub, (menu: timing/shift times) it can involve a bit of trial and error to find the exact amount to time-shift the subs by.

Because that subtitle file specifies a video resolution of 384x288 in its header, (the raw TheWhiteLights pointed to in OP is actually 704x396) many players will proportionally increase the size of the subs to match the increased HD resolution, resulting in rather large text on the screen. Because TheWhiteLights used explicit line wraps and no fancy stuff, the layout itself will survive a resolution change intact.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 02:16:56 PM by JimShew »

Didi Anthoni

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2014, 08:42:47 AM »
did doremi sub Miku no Hi Daikanshasai 2Days first day?

Offline JimShew

• Doremi staff
  • Site Admin
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2014, 12:30:23 AM »
did doremi sub Miku no Hi Daikanshasai 2Days first day?
I don't believe so, Hatsune Miku-san.  Although a 110 Gigabyte HD raw by that title is easily found on the encrypted P2P network "share", I'm unable to locate that title on our own trackers.

Caution if try using "share" yourself: the now 8-year-old distribution has security holes that have been exploited by the authorities to make arrests. Security patches exist, but their distro is on that same network.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 01:32:22 AM by JimShew »