Author Topic: (un)Official Ojamajo Doremi 16 Light Novel Discussion Thread  (Read 93460 times)

Offline dalekusa

• Resident Tumblr Junkie/Newsreader
  • Frequent Visitor
  • A cloudcuckoolander and proud of it.
(un)Official Ojamajo Doremi 16 Light Novel Discussion Thread
« on: September 23, 2011, 06:48:15 PM »
This forum would be mad not to have a thread about the biggest thing that happened during that unexpected late-summer break:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-09-05/ojamajo-doremi-gets-light-novel-sequel-set-in-high-school

And yes, I provided the tip.

How excited are you guys?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 02:06:05 PM by PsychicKid »

Ming Yi

Re: (un)Official Ojamajo Doremi 16 Light Novel Discussion Thread
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 08:13:18 PM »
I'm stoked for this and am getting my site back up just for the occasion.

I'm curious if Kuriyama decides to pair any of the characters up. Ship wars will be so loltastic.

Offline Jeffery Mewtamer

• Just a Regular
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 10:01:11 PM »
I will obtain a copy as soon as I possibly can. I just hope an English translation surfaces eventually.

Ming Yi

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2011, 12:45:59 AM »
I'm gonna preorder this too when they start accepting preorders for this!

My Japanese reading comprehension is okay but I haven't tried reading light novels yet. The most I can give out is a detailed summary.

Offline ShiueFha-chan

• Frequent Visitor
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2011, 10:06:42 AM »
I really hope that they have at least the English translation version. I'm so curious about the story.
Spoiler for Hidden:
Because my Japanese isn't good enough for reading.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 10:09:22 AM by ShiueFha-chan »

Ming Yi

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2011, 01:17:00 PM »
You'll probably have to rely on fan translations for an English translation. :/

ama-ri

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2011, 07:16:35 PM »
(I've been waiting for this website to be back up just to see a discussion about this.)

When I saw the news I've been jumping around in my room and the first thing I did was writing a text to a friend "Dec 11, Doremi 16 LN". She thought I was trolling her.

So I wonder how this will work out.
I didn't see Dokkan further than the subs (and also an alright sub of the very last episode some years ago) but wasn't the end, that the Witch World drew back from the human world until "It's ready" for it or something? Correct me if I'm wrong.
To come back into contact just a few years later sounds a bit implausible if not for some important reason.

I've been wondering what kind of plot this will be. The charm about doremi was the slice of life and drama, these individual stories about persons in their surroundings and their problems with their family, friends, misunderstandings and so on. And the witches' attempt to help them. I wonder if doremi 16 will go back to those roots or go into a different direction more appropriate for older audiences...or something like precure (I just hope it won't.)
Well, we'll have to wait for more news about this I guess. December isn't that far away. What do you think?

Another question I have is, if this is a single volume or just Part 1 of something? Is there any note about it?

Oh, and is there any chance, doremi subs will be translating this novel? It's doremi and all... =D

On a side note: there has also been a news about this on moetron: http://www.moetron.com/2011/09/05/ojamajo-doremi-16-light-novel-coming-in-december-tv-anime-to-follow/ with the speculation of TOEI possibly animating it in Spring '12. I won't get my hopes up, how possible do you think of this to happen?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 07:18:44 PM by ama-ri »

Ming Yi

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2011, 12:14:42 AM »
LOL. I first heard of the news on Wikipedia and I was all like, "Damn these 12-year-olds making up impossible rumors" and undid the edit; 10 minutes later my brother told me this and I was like WHAT.

Yes, I don't think the withdrawal was permanent but after the shebang with Majotourbillon, the witches were all, "HAIL NO, we ain't beefin' with you human dudes long time." Also, the Queen stepped down in place of Hana, who has yet to grow up to rightfully claim her throne. If Doremi and the girls are 16, Hana would be 6 years old, but if you really think about it, she's matured a lot during Dokka~n! She's kept her memories and everything in tact, but I think the witches think Hana is best left as a baby to continue to let her magic powers grow properly. The quick speed-up to 11-years-old probably didn't give her enough room to develop since her magical crystals broke in the process and she had to take exams to gain her own again.

Since it's a light novel (read: it's gonna be a short story no matter how much you look into it) and there may be a huge plot event where Doremi may gain back her powers (judging by the teaser illustration), I don't think it'll focus on the slice-of-life bit, which was usually reserved for filler episodes.

I think a "16" anime would be slightly possible, but I'm leaning towards it not happening. I really don't see what Toei could do with the plot, especially since Precure is their pilot magical girl franchise. The most I can see them do is release like a 1 episode special or something... possibly direct-to-DVD or something.

Edit: No, nothing was said about another follow-up novel releasing.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 12:18:06 AM by Ming Yi »

Offline JimShew

• Doremi staff
  • Site Admin
  • Diehard Forum Addict. ¬¬;;
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2011, 08:09:12 AM »
... I just hope an English translation surfaces eventually.
In my opinion, an English translation will surface. Although Dokka~n is a higher priority, too many of the Doremi project staff are interested.

Both PK and myself already have the bookstores on "high alert" for its release.
Information presented in the form of "derivative works" represent the seeds of new academic discoveries. Therefore, the USA has outlawed their own academic processes with the wording of their DMCA.

Offline PsychicKid

• Site Admin
  • 'Extended' Stay
  • Doremi-Fansubs Staff - Ojamajo Doremi
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2011, 11:20:12 PM »
An English translation of the light novel (along with any sequels, animation releases, etc) will come out sooner or later. It's as Jim said though, we will be working on Dokkan first. Rest assured though, if someone doesn't translate it before us, then we will translate it. It will come out in English.

Official quality checker of Ojamajo Doremi as of episode 29, season 1 aka over 5 years of watching cute girls do cute things with magic my god what have i done

Offline dalekusa

• Frequent Visitor
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2011, 07:18:53 PM »
I'm right now getting permission from a friend on Tumblr to post an image of a magazine which includes the cover art for Ojamajo Doremi 16. I'll post it as soon as I have the green light.

Offline Jeffery Mewtamer

• Just a Regular
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2011, 07:52:46 PM »
I have been thinking about it, and one thing I am wondering about this novel: Whether Onpu has successfully transitioned to being a Teen Idol, or is she a has-been by the time of the novel's setting. Especially since it is my understanding that most J-pop acts have a short-lived time in the spotlight.

Offline ShiueFha-chan

• Frequent Visitor
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2011, 11:31:35 AM »
I think they'll write that Onpu become a more famous teen idol (although I'm still not sure with it).
Well, we just can wait until they publish it.

Offline dalekusa

• Frequent Visitor
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2011, 06:23:50 PM »
I've decided to go ahead an post the photos, so thanks to cnove.tumblr.com for the scoop.

main photo:

Version cropped to just the Doremi 16 part:

Can somebody translate the text on the Doremi half?

Ming Yi

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2011, 03:32:18 AM »
The tiny text is blurry but the header says, "Ojamajo Doremi has come back at age 16!"
« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 03:57:17 AM by Ming Yi »